Monday, May 4, 2009

REALLY? There is something wrong with MY child? No there must be something wrong with YOU!

REALLY? There is something wrong with MY child? No there must be something wrong with YOU!

That is what ran through my head when Jake’s preschool teacher told me that she was worried about him. She said she thought he had a sensory disorder! Well what the hell is that?!

Jake had been such a easy baby and a happy toddler but once he was about 2 1/2 , I started noticing his little tendencies such as his shoe laces had to be perfect, he didn’t like being dirty, he enjoyed spinning and OMG certain smells would make him sick. But I admit I enjoyed my world of denial. I just thought that he had a little OCD but, was okay. I use to think, so what if he doesn’t want to eat lunch with the kids at preschool because the smell of their food bothers him, so what if he has a melt down because his hands got dirty, so what if I had to tie his shoes multiple times to his liking, he was my child, my only child and he was PERFECT!

While I am sitting there crying and trying to process what his teacher is telling me, in the back of my mind I knew that what she was saying was true. As a mother I didn’t want to believe that there was something off about my child but, I knew…deep down I knew.

I stayed in bed the next day crying and having a pity day. That is what I needed. After that I got up and decided that I had to get to the bottom of this and needed to be his advocate. My hubby on the other hand was still enjoying the world of denial but, told me to do whatever I thought was right!

Next blog....The Journey to Diagnosis

No comments: